From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Calc] Feature request: New UI like Google Docs
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 03:00:37 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Tony <abletony84@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> Any chance OO Calc's UI can become more like that of Google Docs?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/Jadsg.png
>
> There's just something about it. Maybe it's the
> simplicity<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle>.
> Maybe it's the colors. Maybe it's the
> grid<http://www.subtraction.com/pics/0703/grids_are_good.pdf>.
> Maybe it's the fact that they've spent millions of dollars on usability
> research.

KG01

True story.

Good research = good design = good development = good user experience =
sustainable product

The GDocs solution is successful for a number of reasons. They constantly
design, test and iterate. We can emulate this process very easily. It
starts with an understanding of our users, their needs, and a relentless
focus, let's say obsession, on realizing the core use cases. In other
words, what are the core tasks that users perform in our product in the
first 20 minutes of use? How can we make them successful in our product,
and what does that mean in the age of social and mobile?

Looking forward to continuing the conversation.

As for design attributes for the next generation AOO, I'll create a wiki
page in the UX wiki to capture our thoughts as this conversation continues.

Regards,
Kevin