From Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to do this...
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 21:04:53 GMT
2012/5/24 Ima Afrotrap <afrotrap@gmail.com>:
> On Thursday, 24 May 2012 10:55 Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> 2012/5/24 Ima Afrotrap <afrotrap@gmail.com>:
>> > I often copy and paste from e-book formats into odt simply because odt is
>> > always such a nice smaller file size and I have all the control in the
>> > world over what kind of font I want to use, etc.
>> >
>> > One problem I often have is something like this...
>> >
>> > For instance, in the following sentence:
>> >
>> > -----
>> > He had just said wearily,"There's no timber down there to build cabins."
>> > -----
>> >
>> > There's no 'space' between the apostrophe and the beginning quotation
>> > marks.
>>
>> When you say ”apostrophe”, do you actually mean ”comma”? Because I
>> can't see an apostrophe directly followed by a quotation mark in that
>> example sentence.
>>

>  Oops! Sorry, yes, I meant comma.
>

>> > In
>> > this particular e-book, there is a *LOT* of this and I'll not be able to
>> > enjoy reading the book if I have to stop every 5 seconds to click on the
>> > spot and hit the spacebar all the time.
>> >
>> > I looked at the find/replace, but when I tried that it didn't work very
>> > well and then I had to *delete* a space when it put it *between an
>> > apostrophe and an end quotation mark.
>> >
>> > I don't understand well enough how to use the regular expressions and
>> > would really like to be able to use the find/replace so it can do the
>> > 1000+ corrrections for me and I can get back to the occassional manual
>> > fix, heh.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any idea how I can do this to make it easier on myself
>> > and get ahead with actual reading? (hopefully I described the problem
>> > well enough for someone to actually be able to help me).
>> >

>> >  JB
>>
>> I tried your example with and without regular expressions and it
>> worked easily in both cases. Can you give another example that
>> contains every case where you need to add a space AND every case where
>> you don't want an extra space?
>> If the end quotation mark is the same character as the beginning
>> quotation mark, then it will be very difficult to create a regular
>> expression that is able to know which one is which. If there always is
>> a space, period or a comma after the end quotation mark, I can see a
>> way, though. I need to know the exact rules to create something that
>> actually works in every situation that is likely to show up.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
> Here are some more cut and pasted straight from the e-book examples (note also
> not just the comma, but it happens with a period):
>
> -----
> said Jonnie."Don't you follow
>
> “You can have my other four horses,”

I find it odd to have a comma inside a quote, but that's maybe another story.

> said Jonnie to Chrissie."Don't eat them;
> they're trained.” He paused."Unless you get awful hungry, of course, like in the
> winter.”
>
> "I’ve been investigating a suspicion of conspiracy to sabotage transport,” said
> Terl."Kept me busy for the last three weeks.”
> -----
>
> I hope I'm showing everything necessary to see the problem better. If you want
> even more examples, just holler and I'll cut and paste  a page if it's not too
> big.
>

>  JB

I noticed that sometimes “ and ” is used, and sometimes there is just
a ". Is this what happens or did something just happen when copying
the text to your post?

I did some experimenting and found that the tricky part (for me who is
not that experienced with regular expressions) is that some lines
start with a quotation mark, either " or “.

Let me know if there really is a mix of ", “ and ” in the real text.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ