From Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to do this...
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 15:55:35 GMT
2012/5/24 Ima Afrotrap <afrotrap@gmail.com>:
> I often copy and paste from e-book formats into odt simply because odt is always
> such a nice smaller file size and I have all the control in the world over what
> kind of font I want to use, etc.
>
> One problem I often have is something like this...
>
> For instance, in the following sentence:
>
> -----
> He had just said wearily,"There's no timber down there to build cabins."
> -----
>
> There's no 'space' between the apostrophe and the beginning quotation marks.

When you say ”apostrophe”, do you actually mean ”comma”? Because I
can't see an apostrophe directly followed by a quotation mark in that
example sentence.

> In
> this particular e-book, there is a *LOT* of this and I'll not be able to enjoy
> reading the book if I have to stop every 5 seconds to click on the spot and hit
> the spacebar all the time.
>
> I looked at the find/replace, but when I tried that it didn't work very well and
> then I had to *delete* a space when it put it *between an apostrophe and an end
> quotation mark.
>
> I don't understand well enough how to use the regular expressions and would
> really like to be able to use the find/replace so it can do the 1000+
> corrrections for me and I can get back to the occassional manual fix, heh.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I can do this to make it easier on myself and get
> ahead with actual reading? (hopefully I described the problem well enough for
> someone to actually be able to help me).
>

>  JB

I tried your example with and without regular expressions and it
worked easily in both cases. Can you give another example that
contains every case where you need to add a space AND every case where
you don't want an extra space?
If the end quotation mark is the same character as the beginning
quotation mark, then it will be very difficult to create a regular
expression that is able to know which one is which. If there always is
a space, period or a comma after the end quotation mark, I can see a
way, though. I need to know the exact rules to create something that
actually works in every situation that is likely to show up.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ