From Tony <ableton...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why Microsoft: Microsoft Excel vs. OpenOffice.org Calc
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 11:43:00 GMT
13:29 tonym (~tony@unaffiliated/tonym) has joined #startups
13:29 Topic for #startups: A place where people involved in startups can
hang out, and discuss anything startup/hacker related. | Wiki:
http://ircstartups.pbworks.com/ | Beware of hippies and navy jets.
13:29 Topic set by micrypt (~micrypt@demoseen.com) (Sat Apr 28 09:35:39
2012)
13:29 Users #startups
13:29 @ChanServ          code              ghostshell    krackpot
omni5cience      swalk
13:29 @rmah              count             gianp         Layke
one_zero         Swannie
13:29 @swombat           cranzya           glcrazy       LiamM
onr              symb
13:29 @wheels            cryptic           gmcabrita     licnep
peterhil         tdmackey
13:29  [[sroracle]]      Cyndre            gourneau      likewhoa
Phil-C           Technodrome
13:29  [dmp]             cyphase           Guest99756    literal_username
phwd             tectonic_
13:29  __null            Cyrus             guntha        lmatos
picasso          teralaser
13:29  `Winslow          Daeken            Gwl           loc`
pippy            TheTrash
13:29  A_G1RL            daleharvey        hachiya       loucal
podman           tilerendering
13:29  abetaha           dalys             HaltingState  m1d0_
procrastron      timb
13:29  abraham           dan64             haotian       Mad_Dud
psawaya          TimTim`
13:29  acous             davidthedrake     harold        makerbreaker
pse              tkmedia
13:29  acriax            ddm32             harper        manveru
qnm              Tobu
13:29  adulau            Decarabia         harperr       marteen
raz              tobym
13:29  agentbob          dekz              HDroid        MartinX
rcs              tomaw
13:29  aidan             Derek_the_Writer  HeavyMetal    McMAGIC--Copy
reddickulous     tsandall
13:29  akl               devaholic         HedgeMage     meefs
ricin            Turingi
13:29  akoumjian         dlmalloc          heidar        megamark16
RixiM            turtlemay
13:29  alisdair          dmpayton          hekate        mensch
rmah-ipad        TylerD
13:29  amuck             dools             HEX3H         mgoetz
rns              upgrayeddd
13:29  AndreaRu          drogoh            Hypah         mheld
rojisan          veb
13:29  Angostura         dryicerx          Internet13    mihar
rojisan_roaming  veeti
13:29  anildigital       dshep             ironix        tonym
RumpledElf       vinces
13:29  Arasari           dumnut            ivan\         Morkel
rurufufuss       Wah
13:29  aristid           edenc             ivan`         movvy
salisbury        wao
13:29  aymanw__          edwtjo_           ivevyxexi     mrud
samuelclay       War2
13:29  Balthek           eezee319          jaequery      MS|Away
sashthebash      warebec|1at
13:29  barake            end3r-            jayne         mtkd
schwap           wcarss
13:29  barduck           enra              jbenet        naoui
SecretAgent      wcchandler
13:29  bartender         etcetera          jefferai      natte|wrk
Seldaek          willeh
13:29  beawesomeinstead  exceion           JeffW         nattofriends
selevt           wollw
13:29  Bemmu             exicer            jhchabran     nedjl
shachaf          wonk
13:29  beniz             feedelli          JiYu          NomadJim
shadykhan        Wuher
13:29  benjoffe          felideon          jjcm          nuba
shoerain         wyan
13:29  binarydigit       felipe`           jlf           Nuck
sins-            xachen
13:29  binjured          ferric            johnpaulett   nucleomite
slajax           y3di
13:29  blackwhite        fisix             JonnyCash     Nutter
spillere         Y_Ichiro
13:29  bonsaikitten      flashingpumpkin   kanzure       nw
spyvsspy         yan_
13:29  brownies          flexx             Karmaon       nx5_off
stargaming       yorick
13:29  Caius             fmu               karstensrage  Obfuscate
stephensclafani  zakwilson
13:29  carbocation       GabeEvans         kephra        ohhmaar
stevenola        zerofive
13:29  CharlesDM         gary_b            kfullert      OldCoder
streety          zeroz
13:29  choupydance       gasbakid          kiffer84      olegp
strix_           ziyadb
13:29  chr1s_            Gatewayy          klaver        ollie
Sudoriparous     zyfo_
13:29  clone1018         geoffw8_          konr          omarish
sung
13:29 Irssi: #startups: Total of 269 nicks (4 ops, 0 halfops, 0 voices, 265
normal)
13:29 !card.freenode.net [freenode-info] channel trolls and no channel
staff around to help? please check with freenode support:
http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#gettinghelp
13:29 Channel #startups created Wed Nov 14 08:26:56 2007
13:30 Irssi: Join to #startups was synced in 8 secs
13:30 <gianp> Technodrome, Anyway, I use technologies that allow me to
create things and be productive.  I'm really not very interested in cults
of personality or developer fads.
13:31 <tonym> Hello! I'm doing some research on Microsoft Excel vs
OpenOffice Calc - exactly why is Excel better? Judging by battle videos
like these - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMKjChWM0Mo - all Excel has is
a fancier GUI and a bunch of autocorrect features nobody ever needs. Or am
I wrong?
13:31 <gianp> I just would caution against being totally cynical about the
fact that a lot of people making a lot of money have settled on a very
small set of technologies because they think it gives them an advantage.
13:31 <gianp> They might well be right!
13:31 <@rmah> tonym: you are wrong
13:32 <tonym> rmah: Can you give me some real-world examples as to why?
13:32 <@rmah> Excel has more features for analyzing and processing tabular
data than you can imagine
13:33 <tonym> I understand you've spent a great deal of your life working
with Excel and that your ego probably is coming to the rescue here, but
OpenOffice Calc also has a lot of features for analyzing and processing
tabular data.
13:33 <@rmah> the formatting crap is fairly blah
13:33 <tonym> As for the features I *can't* imagine - I probably don't need
them.
13:33 <@rmah> perhaps you don't
13:34 <@rmah> but that's not what you asked
13:34 <@rmah> you asked "all Excel has is a fancier GUI and a bunch of
autocorrect features nobody ever needs.  Or am I wrong?"
13:34 <tonym> I'm asking for real-world examples
13:34 <tonym> So I can help the OpenOffice community
13:34 <Technodrome> gianp:  twitter is failing me, but if you look at his
twitter its there, if your a scala guy you would know this :) ….it was a
big deal for them when he said that since hies the main twiter of most
scala books and many people use scala just because of lift
13:34 <@rmah> you can connect excel sheets to draw data from a variety of
data sources, ranging from SQL databases to web services
13:34 <gianp> tonym, OK.  The argument basically goes like this for any
piece of software with a significant install base:
13:35 <@rmah> you can then feed that data into a pivot table
13:35 chris_99 (~chris@unaffiliated/chris-99/x-3062929) has joined #startups
13:35 <gianp> A million users know how to use Excel.  OOO Calc is not
exactly Excel.  Therefore Excel is better.
13:35 <@rmah> you can then use do multi-scenario what-if analysis with
consolidation and validation
13:35 <tonym> rmah: Calc does that too though, I just crunched some serious
PostgreSQL and SQLite databases over here in the lab
13:35 <@rmah> you can then use that to create statistical summaries that
format based on conditionals
13:35 <gianp> For "Excel" and "Calc" there you can read any two things
where one is used by more people.
13:36 <@rmah> tonym: if OO Calc is enough for you, that's fine
13:36 <@rmah> but that was not your original claim
13:36 <tonym> rmah: Again, OO Calc has all the features you mentioned
13:36 <@rmah> ok
13:36 <gianp> People use Excel because they know how to use Excel well.
They don't use OO Calc because it doesn't work exactly the same way as
Excel.
13:36 <tonym> So your claim that you've repeated over the past few days
that Excel is better, simply won't hold
13:37 <@rmah> tonym: ok
13:37 <gianp> tonym, See my much broader claim.
13:37 <tonym> gianp: Indeed
13:37 <gianp> There are a million programming languages that are better
than <mainstream language>, but they aren't the right tool for the job for
most people because they aren't exactly <mainstream language>
13:37 <tonym> its kinda like musical taste I guess where it's not actually
about the music but about the fact that that person *chose* it and made it
his own
13:38 <gianp> It's a little different to musical taste in the sense that if
I switch music tastes I lose nothing.
13:38 <gianp> If I switch software to something that makes me less
productive on account of the learning curve, I lose money
13:38 <tonym> true that man, true that
13:39 <tonym> lose soul maybe ;) but you cant measure that so
13:39 <tonym> hehe forget i said that