From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open Office 3.4 problems
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 19:13:58 GMT
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM, John Boyle <jhnboyle788@gmail.com> wrote:
> : And you did NOT bother to read what was said,

Yes, I read what you said, and the whole thread. My point was that at some
point you highlighted that AOO was "not worth the trouble" and that your
option was moving to LibreOffice. That, on a AOO list, is trolling.

Let me quote you*: "I am either staying with OOo ver. 3.3 or switching to
LibreOffice, but "UPGRADING" TO AOO VER. 3.4 is TOTALLY OUT! It is obvious
to me that it is NOT an "UPGRADE" but a COMPLETE REWRITE"*

Venting your frustration is one thing. Not understanding how user profile
folder works is another. If someone told you to erase an OpenOffice.org
folder from your user profile folder, and in the course of doing it, you
did it wrong and lost all your data -as you seem to imply in your rant-
then it's not the fault of the program.

But, I agree with you, perhaps the next AOO installer could automagically
check for older profile folders, and, to avoid any issues, could offer the
users an informative description and a choice of renaming the old folder.

That would certainly help. Telling users that AOO "is a complete rewrite"
and "not worth the trouble" does help you vent your frustration, but does
not help anybody else.

Just my $0.02
FC
act