From "Niall Martin" <ni...@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>
Subject Re: Total User confusion
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 19:18:40 GMT
I didn't want to provoke a flame war, but since the article he cited (which I read with
interest) mentioned that we'd worked on Smartsuite, make a suggestion that he could use his

background to improve Open Office and make it more usable.

Perhaps I'll explain what I have in mind.  In Approach, I can, just as in Base, be in Browse

mode or Design mode.  I can display records in Forms or Worksheets, dealing with them in
either mode, in the former I look at records individually, in the latter in bulk. In either
view I
can add or delete a record, and I can print as required, and I can design any of them to
display whatever fields I am interested in.  I can also create reports, showing whatever fields

I want, from whatever underlying database [in DBase format] I am working with, provided I

have first joined them on suitable common fields.  I can also search in any Worksheet or
Form for all records with particular values of any field of interest. I suppose the Base
equivalent of a worksheet is a  table?  But in Base what is a form, and what exactly is a

Query?  I assume that a Table is the equivalent of a Worksheet, but in my experiments with

Base, the Forms look like Worksheets to me, but also to Reports.  What exactly is a query,

or is it an elaborate way of doing a search? I need some kind of orienting help, and maybe

the website Dan mentioned could be it.  The help files need to start back at the beginning

and explain things.

A further feature of Smartsuite that I found very helpful when I was feeling my way with it

was the close integration of Approach with 123, which made setting up Approach databases
relative easy.  I had come to it like many others with an Amstrad and the LocoFile flat file

database that went with LocoScript, the programme that ran on them, and which I continued

to use  when I first went over to a PC in the early 90s.

Best wishes