From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Total User confusion
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 15:03:23 GMT
On 30 May 2012 at 7:49, Fernando Cassia wrote: Send reply
to: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org Date sent: Wed, 30 May
2012 07:49:26 -0300 Subject: Re: Total User confusion From:
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> To:
ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
>> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Niall Martin
>> <niall@rndmartin.cix.co.uk>wrote:
>>
>>>   I have experimented with Open Office Base, but  found it difficult
>>> find my way
>>> into its facilities and vocabulary, to work out what it can do for
>>> me.
>>>
>> Here is a tutorial, FWIW.
>>
>> http://inpics.net/base.html
>>
>> By the way, I remember Lotus Approach vaguely (under OS/2)... I think
>> its database design screens were simpler.
>>
>> FC
>>
> Niall Martin wrote:
>> Looks interesting. I shall investigate. Thanks
>>

>> Niall Martin
>> Phone 0131 4678468
>> Please reply to: niall<at>rndmartin.cix.co.uk

      I have been experimenting Base before if first
appeared in OOo 2.0 (I even experimented with Base using
developer snapshots while OOo 2.o was being developed. But I
don't understand what the difficulties are especially when
you refer to vocabulary and facilities.  I had also created
dBase databases  back in the OOo 1.x.x period when that was
the only option. I had no problems moving to Base from the
earlier dBase option.
      Facilities: Does this mean you want to know what
abilities it has? What abilities would you like for it to have?
      Vocabulary: What are the terms you do not understand?
What are the terms that you have used that you think might
match the Base terms?
      I have read information about relational databases
online as well as a couple of textbooks. I find the
vocabulary used there is different from what Base uses, but
it has never been so different that I could not recognize
the new terms and apply them.  I even find differences
between the references I mentioned. I even found one source
that is based upon the Algebra of sets!
      It does take some patience for a while to learn the
difference in the terms used. And it pays to be flexible.

--Dan