From Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Apache openoffice 3.4 License problem
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 12:42:45 GMT
More to the point, any source code included in Apache project releases
that is not under the Apache License 2.0 should be clearly listed in the
NOTICE file, which is included in virtually all Apache project software
releases.

In my Win7 install of AOO 3.4.0 milestone build, I see two copies of
this file:

   $dir/program/NOTICE
and
   $dir/share/readme/NOTICE.txt

These files should list all other components in the AOO release that may
not be under the Apache license.

Note that in virtually all cases, all software in an Apache product are
either the Apache License or another license that meets the OSI's
definition of an open source license, so it's pretty rare that those
other licenses actually prevent most users from doing whatever they
planned to do with the Apache licensed software anyway.

For more details about licensing and NOTICEs, se:

   http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
   http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

- Shane

On 2012-05-21 11:08 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> As far as I know, the only components that are installed with Apache OpenOffice.org that
do not have the ALv2 license or one compatible with it are some extensions that are packaged
with it as a courtesy.

> You can remove or disable those extensions using the Extension Manager.
>
> You can check the licenses on all of the installations by inspecting the extension packages
where they are unpacked as part of the installation.