From James Knott <james.kn...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: File associations - LibreOffice and OpenOffice on Windows 7
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 21:12:26 GMT
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> You can try to add AOO associations manually, but it might not be effective.
>
> The problem is that LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org, and Apache OpenOffice all use the same
(old Star Office) names for the individual application programs.  Even if you succeed in having
multiple swriter.exe associations, for example, you may have trouble telling them apart [;<).

> I think you already know how to do this, by using the Open With ... context-menu and
take the "Choose Default Program" option.  You'll have to find the installed files and select
them.  Perhaps even make it the default at first, although you can select the program and
remove the check mark on "Always use the selected program ... ".

> Thereafter, they should all be offered in the Open With ... without having to be added.
 But I suspect this is where you might be frustrated.  (This is how I add WinZip to all of
the ODF and OOXML extension names so I can simplify document-forensic work.)

Got it.  You gave me the idea.  Instead of going into the OpenOffice
folder and selecting, for example, swriter, I selected OpenOffice and it
now appears as a choice when I right click.  It also now possible to
choose any of the three to be the default app.

tnx jk