From "Girvin R. Herr" <girvin.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice 3.4 installation problem
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 21:48:11 GMT

Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hello Bernd,
>
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:16:02PM +0200, Bernd Speiser wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just downloaded
>> Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz
>> and have installed according to the instructions (e.g. Installation
>> Guide). For testing, I have installed to a `local' directory in a
>> user subdirectory (i.e., not to interfere with the `old' system-wide
>> installation of OpenOffice 3.3.0).
>>
>> The README file lists as requirements,among others:
>>
>> * Linux Kernel version 2.6.18 or higher
>> * glibc2 version 2.5 or higher
>>

> This is no longer valid. I'll submit an issue ASAP to update that
> readme.
>

>> I have kernel 2.6.27 and my libc.so.6 points to libc-2.9.so (so, I
>> guess, I have version 2.9).
>>

> you can get the glibc version by running on a terminal:
>

> ]$ /lib/libc.so.6
>

> This will print information like the following (from Fedora 16):
>
> GNU C Library development release version 2.14.90, by Roland McGrath et al.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> Compiled by GNU CC version 4.6.2 20111027 (Red Hat 4.6.2-1).
> Compiled on a Linux 3.2.6 system on 2012-02-21.
> Available extensions:
>         Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc core.
>         The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
>         crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
>         GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
>         Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
>         BIND-8.2.3-T5B
>         RT using linux kernel aio
> libc ABIs: UNIQUE IFUNC
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.
>

>> When I start the soffice executablle in openoffoce.org3/program, I
>> get the following error message:
>>
>> openoffice.org3/program> ./soffice
>> javaldx failed. User must select a JRE from options dialog!/home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin:
>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libsvt.so)
>> /home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin:
>> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libvcl.so)
>>
>> On another installation (where the libc.so.6 points to
>> libc-2.11.2.so), I can start OpenOffice 3.4.
>>
>> Is the information in the README incorrect and I need to update the
>> system on the first installation described?
>>

> Yes, the information is incorrect.
> You need to update your system, or submit a bug asking for us to
> downgrade the system requirements in a next release.
>

> Regards

Another solution, as I have done, is to switch to LibreOffice 3.5.3 (the
latest release).  Its downloaded binaries run fine with my glibc 2.7 and
it also runs fine along side my Ooo 3.3.0.  So far, I have not had any
problem with LO and my Ooo files & MySQL databases.  And at least one of
the Ooo 3.3 bugs I have been working around for over a year, the failure
to get printer configuration from the file bug, has been fixed in LO 3.5.3.

Since glibc is the core library for Linux and most of its apps, I
decided *not* to update my glibc for fear of bringing down my entire
computer, with resultant many hours restoring it.  I tried to build Aoo
3.4 from source code, but that had fatal problems with one of my Python
5 modules.  That is when I gave up on Aoo 3.4.
Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr