From John Boyle <jbo...@harbornet.com>
Subject Re: Open Office 3.4 problems
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 17:36:39 GMT
On 5/15/2012 5:59 AM, Rod Lockwood wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2012 15:32:16 -0400, John Boyle <jhnboyle788@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> It is not a complete rewrite. Virtually all the existing 3.3 code is
>>> still there; new code has been added, many bugs fixed and some
>>> third-party libraries (not part of the "real" OpenOffice code) have
>>> been replaced.

>>> Several OpenOffice 3.4 developers have worked full-time on the
>>> project for more than 10 years.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

>> To Andrea: If it was simply an upgrade, as all others in that line up
>> to version 3.3 were upgrades, then you would not have to go in and
>> completely rearrange what you have on your computer to that install
>> an ALMOST completely different version of the program which would
>> then take your past data! Sounds to me like too many people are
>> jumping on this "Windows 7" mentality and making things as difficult
>> as they can, yet with that excuse that they been at it for so long
>> that they should know better than the users .AOO ver.3.4 is as close
>> to a total rewrite as one can be and yet allow the data to the used
>> in it! I don't have the time to play with my registry, nor all these
>> other files that people had to jump Through the hoops to get this
>> "upgrade" to work! If all these developers had been working on this
>> project for 10 years, as was said, WHY couldn't they make it a simple
>> install over all of the versions of OpenOffice that have been around?
>> I have been urged to switch to Libre Office for the very same reasons
>> I have just stated! I think that all the effort of 10 years work has
>> simply been A intellectual playground and the common user has just
>> simply been forgotten!:-( :-( =-O =-O

> I am one of those users. The only problem I had installing OpenOffice
> 3.4 was the arrow keys quit working. Everything else seems to work
> fine. Did you delete or rename your original folders in Program Files
> and in the user profile/Documents and Settings? OpenOffice would have
> copied right over them incorporating all of your old settings.

To Mr. Lockwood and List: After hearing about all the problems people
were having, with installing 3.4, I just simply did not even download
it. WHY? I have Win 7-64 bit on this computer, which I could NOT install
and had to have my local repair shop do the job! WHY? Because Win
7-Microsoft themselves were above board and TOLD everybody it would NOT
just install over any older version of Windows! I give them credit for
being upfront on that, and even my computer club said there would be
problems and that you might have to even change your Hardware some! All
the data was, of course, picked up once the programs were reinstalled,
except I had to find on my Win XP machine, all my email addresses which
WERE NOT picked up when my Thunderbird was reactivated. Having gotten
somewhat singed by WIN 7, I am more sensitive to problems of installing,
because The same problem, only worse happened to Seamonkey when they
rewrote and put out Version 2, it simply was NOT compatible with the
older versions of SeaMonkey and so I dropped that program, entirely.
Now, renaming original folders and the user Profile and then having any
of the keys NOT work does NOT give me any belief that a program is a
SIMPLE straight forward "Upgrade"! I am convinced that it is probably
better in some respects, but I have a question. What real difference is
there between 3.3 and 3.4, other than a newer dedicated group are
maintaining it? And, finally, there is an old saying that I learned in
the military, K.I.S.S. OR Keep It Simple Stupid!!! :-)