From John Hart <jh...@testra.com>
Subject Re: Open Office 3.4 problems
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 23:25:18 GMT
On 5/14/2012 12:32 PM, John Boyle wrote:

> To Andrea: If it was simply an upgrade, as all others in that line up
> to version 3.3 were upgrades, then you would not have to go in and
> completely rearrange what you have on your computer to that install an
> ALMOST completely different version of the program which would then
> take your past data! Sounds to me like too many people are jumping on
> this "Windows 7" mentality and making things as difficult as they can,
> yet with that excuse that they been at it for so long that they should
> know better than the users .AOO ver.3.4 is as close to a total rewrite
> as one can be and yet allow the data to the used in it! I don't have
> the time to play with my registry, nor all these other files that
> people had to jump Through the hoops to get this "upgrade" to work! If
> all these developers had been working on this project for 10 years, as
> was said, WHY couldn't they make it a simple install over all of the
> versions of OpenOffice that have been around? I have been urged to
> switch to Libre Office for the very same reasons I have just stated! I
> think that all the effort of 10 years work has simply been A
> intellectual playground and the common user has just simply been
> forgotten!:-( :-( =-O =-O

Microsoft, in order to maintain their monopoly, developed the parasitic
install process causing your problem. Please don't blame it on people
working for free trying to solve it for you. The reason they are
advising people with problems to delete defective links is because
Microsoft provides users with no tools to determine what is wrong. The
links were most likely broken before the upgrade. Installing a program
in windows is like a fungus growing into a tree.