From John Boyle <jhnboyle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open Office 3.4 problems
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:32:16 GMT
On 5/13/2012 5:06 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> John Boyle wrote:
>> "UPGRADING" TO AOO VER. 3.4 is TOTALLY
>> OUT! It is obvious to me that it is NOT an "UPGRADE" but a COMPLETE
>> REWRITE
>
> It is not a complete rewrite. Virtually all the existing 3.3 code is
> still there; new code has been added, many bugs fixed and some
> third-party libraries (not part of the "real" OpenOffice code) have
> been replaced.
>
>> the reason for the effort was because the program was being dropped by
>> its original developers
>
> Several OpenOffice 3.4 developers have worked full-time on the project
> for more than 10 years.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

To Andrea: If it was simply an upgrade, as all others in that line up to
version 3.3 were upgrades, then you would not have to go in and
completely rearrange what you have on your computer to that install an
ALMOST completely different version of the program which would then take
your past data! Sounds to me like too many people are jumping on this
"Windows 7" mentality and making things as difficult as they can, yet
with that excuse that they been at it for so long that they should know
better than the users .AOO ver.3.4 is as close to a total rewrite as one
can be and yet allow the data to the used in it! I don't have the time
to play with my registry, nor all these other files that people had to
jump Through the hoops to get this "upgrade" to work! If all these
developers had been working on this project for 10 years, as was said,
WHY couldn't they make it a simple install over all of the versions of
OpenOffice that have been around? I have been urged to switch to Libre
Office for the very same reasons I have just stated! I think that all
the effort of 10 years work has simply been A intellectual playground
and the common user has just simply been forgotten!:-( :-( =-O =-O