From Mike Scott <m...@scottsonline.org.uk>
Subject Re: New Guy, Suggestion
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 13:57:55 GMT
On 08/05/12 14:21, Bill Dillinger wrote:
> I hope this is an appropriate idea to put forward and that it is OK to
> post it here. I can not always clearly identify the subject or author of
> an email from ooo-users as being from that list. I have always read
> that, for security, one should not open mail one does not expect from an
> unknown author. To reduce this problem other mail lists I am on precede
> the subject with the name of the group in square brackets when sending
> the mail to the group, as example [ooo-users] or perhaps in our case
> simply [OOo] as some seem to use. If the list would do this I would be
> much more comfortable opening emails with subject lines and authors I
> don't recognize.

I seem to recall the idea of such a prefix was discussed recently in a
different context, and rejected.

Perhaps a different approach would suit though - all email on this list
comes from particular servers, so maybe your mail client could tag
emails from them somehow; alternatively filter on the basis of the
headers (which is what I do - I check 'to' and 'cc' and file matching
messages in a separate folder.)

Mind you, provided you're using a decent email client, there's no great
security issue with simply reading an email. If possible, set to display
any plain text alternative rather than html, and/or use a client that
does its own html rendering and won't automatically follow external
links (eg Thunderbird or Pegasus). But most definitely /don't/ open
/attachments/ unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing - and that
includes anything sent here as well(*). Even an attached OO document can
contain an embedded macro that could run on opening (check your OO
security settings) and do "interesting" things to your machine.

By the way, it's best to start a new thread as a completely new message
rather than a followup with a subject change. Your posts will get tagged
onto the wrong thread otherwise and possibly missed.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England