From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Not happy with the Google results
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 01:28:52 GMT

On May 11, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Alan Boba wrote:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 08:34 -0400, Rod Lockwood wrote:
>>> still.  I want a resolution soon, so I can go on with my projects
>>> without any decision as to which of the two office suites is better or
>>> whatever the argument is. Until then I am not going into a forum where
>>> I ask how to import/merge LibreOffice with the Apache OpenOffice and
>>> receive whining about incompatibility, loss of features and a lot of
>>> other things that I don’t care about. I realize it may not be as bad
>>> as it seems, but I am reluctant to post in the forum anyway.
>>>
>>> As  far as I am concerned Apache should have made sure all of the good
>>> features that are in LibreOffice would be in OpenOffice. LibreOffice
>>> developers and users should have expected that once OpenOffice was
>>> being continued and supported LibreOffice would no longer be needed
>>> and any developers should have been helping to develop OpenOffice.
>>

> Sorry Ron what you find surprising is, to me, expected. Like Chevy and Ford
> owners extolling the virtues of their preferred brand.

Yes, you do get noisy "fanboys" on the web.

> Presumably AOO is dedicated to improving its product and LO the same.
> Portability of settings and features between the two is not going to be a
> focus for either.

That's not necessarily true. This is open source and AOO is a community project. If someone
wants to work on this feature for AOO all they need to do is go to the ooo-dev ML and ask
how. I can only assume that the same would be true for LO.

Don't let the rants of the fanboys get in your way. Both this ML and the User Forums (http://user.services.openoffice.org/.)
will do our best to help.

> Having all the good features of both in a single product would be great.
> That could never happen because "good feature" is subjective and while a
> majority will agree on certain good features other good features will only
> be recognized as such by the minorities served by them.
>
> To get the information you need your best result is likely to come by
> posting in the forum of the product you're using asking how to import or
> otherwise copy your settings. I think responding to Dan's questions would
> be heading down the right path.

Only help should be offered here and not a battle.

Regards,
Dave