From Ima Afrotrap <afrot...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to do this...
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 20:31:30 GMT
On Thursday, 24 May 2012 10:55 Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2012/5/24 Ima Afrotrap <afrotrap@gmail.com>:
> > I often copy and paste from e-book formats into odt simply because odt is
> > always such a nice smaller file size and I have all the control in the
> > world over what kind of font I want to use, etc.
> >
> > One problem I often have is something like this...
> >
> > For instance, in the following sentence:
> >
> > -----
> > He had just said wearily,"There's no timber down there to build cabins."
> > -----
> >
> > There's no 'space' between the apostrophe and the beginning quotation
> > marks.
>
> When you say ”apostrophe”, do you actually mean ”comma”? Because I
> can't see an apostrophe directly followed by a quotation mark in that
> example sentence.

  Oops! Sorry, yes, I meant comma.

> > In
> > this particular e-book, there is a *LOT* of this and I'll not be able to
> > enjoy reading the book if I have to stop every 5 seconds to click on the
> > spot and hit the spacebar all the time.
> >
> > I looked at the find/replace, but when I tried that it didn't work very
> > well and then I had to *delete* a space when it put it *between an
> > apostrophe and an end quotation mark.
> >
> > I don't understand well enough how to use the regular expressions and
> > would really like to be able to use the find/replace so it can do the
> > 1000+ corrrections for me and I can get back to the occassional manual
> > fix, heh.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea how I can do this to make it easier on myself
> > and get ahead with actual reading? (hopefully I described the problem
> > well enough for someone to actually be able to help me).
> >

> >  JB
>
> I tried your example with and without regular expressions and it
> worked easily in both cases. Can you give another example that
> contains every case where you need to add a space AND every case where
> you don't want an extra space?
> If the end quotation mark is the same character as the beginning
> quotation mark, then it will be very difficult to create a regular
> expression that is able to know which one is which. If there always is
> a space, period or a comma after the end quotation mark, I can see a
> way, though. I need to know the exact rules to create something that
> actually works in every situation that is likely to show up.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Here are some more cut and pasted straight from the e-book examples (note also
not just the comma, but it happens with a period):

-----
said Jonnie."Don't you follow

“You can have my other four horses,” said Jonnie to Chrissie."Don't eat them;
they're trained.” He paused."Unless you get awful hungry, of course, like in the
winter.”

"I’ve been investigating a suspicion of conspiracy to sabotage transport,” said
Terl."Kept me busy for the last three weeks.”
-----

I hope I'm showing everything necessary to see the problem better. If you want
even more examples, just holler and I'll cut and paste  a page if it's not too
big.

  JB