From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice 3.4 installation problem
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 19:41:16 GMT

Hello Bernd,

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:16:02PM +0200, Bernd Speiser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just downloaded
> Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz
> and have installed according to the instructions (e.g. Installation
> Guide). For testing, I have installed to a `local' directory in a
> user subdirectory (i.e., not to interfere with the `old' system-wide
> installation of OpenOffice 3.3.0).
>
> The README file lists as requirements,among others:
>
> * Linux Kernel version 2.6.18 or higher
> * glibc2 version 2.5 or higher

This is no longer valid. I'll submit an issue ASAP to update that
readme.

> I have kernel 2.6.27 and my libc.so.6 points to libc-2.9.so (so, I
> guess, I have version 2.9).

you can get the glibc version by running on a terminal:

]$ /lib/libc.so.6

This will print information like the following (from Fedora 16):

GNU C Library development release version 2.14.90, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 4.6.2 20111027 (Red Hat 4.6.2-1).
Compiled on a Linux 3.2.6 system on 2012-02-21.
Available extensions:
        Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc core.
        The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
        Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        RT using linux kernel aio
libc ABIs: UNIQUE IFUNC
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

> When I start the soffice executablle in openoffoce.org3/program, I
> get the following error message:
>
> openoffice.org3/program> ./soffice
> javaldx failed. User must select a JRE from options dialog!/home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin:
> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libsvt.so)
> /home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin:
> /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /home/bs/software/openoffice/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libvcl.so)
>
> On another installation (where the libc.so.6 points to
> libc-2.11.2.so), I can start OpenOffice 3.4.
>
> Is the information in the README incorrect and I need to update the
> system on the first installation described?

Yes, the information is incorrect.
You need to update your system, or submit a bug asking for us to
downgrade the system requirements in a next release.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina