From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: LO and OO--how?
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 13:18:29 GMT
On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 02:55 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 05/17/2012 10:16 PM, drew wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 21:57 -0400, Doug wrote:
> >> I have LibreOffice on Linux.  I'd like to try OpenOffice.  I don't
> >> really care if it wipes out LO, as I prefer Symphony to that anyway.
> >> It's buggy, but it's more user-friendly and more polished.
> >
> >> --doug
> >> What must I do to try OO?  And is it available in RPM form?
> >>
> > Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
> > you will find your RPM files.
> >
> > Follow the installation instructions at
> > http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#linux
> >
> > That's it.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > //drew

> I think I've gotten much of the way there. I've done everything up to
> instruction 7, "Install the desktop integration features for your setup.
> ...and depending on your package manager/system, install the appropriate
> desktop interface using RPM." Now I'm stuck.  The choices are
> freedesktop-menus     mandriva-menus     redhat-menus
> suse-menus         I am running PCLinuxOs, which is derived (some time ago)
> from Mandriva, so should I use that?  My package manager is Synaptic, my
> desktop is KDE.  Please advise.
>
> Thanx for your assistance.  --doug

Howdy Doug,

Well, not sure actually - I do not use KDE at all, never have.

Running the desktop integration step is not mandatory, of course, nor
will, to the best of my knowledge, any harm come from running one of the
integration scripts for a different desktop yours - I say that because
Ive done so without problem.

Anyway - the freedesktop-menus attempts to be desktop neutral (or does
in another closely related application at least) so I would try that
first.

//drew