From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installing Apache OpenOffice over LibreOffice
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 01:58:28 GMT
On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 18:16 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Whoa Stop!
>
> On 05/14/2012 06:43 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 May 2012 13:25:37 +0000 (UTC) David H <zhotrum@live.com>
> > wrote:

> >> dave@Daves-Home:~/en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration$ sudo dpkg -i
> >> *.deb (Reading database ... 184115 files and directories currently
> >> installed.) Unpacking openoffice.org-debian-menus (from
> >> openoffice.org3.4-debian-menus_3.4-9590_all. deb) ... dpkg: error
> >> processing openoffice.org3.4- debian-menus_3.4-9590_all.deb
> >> (--install): trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mime/packages/
> >> openoffice.org.xml', which is also in package libreoffice-common
> >> 1:3.4.4-0ubuntu1 dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by
>
> The error is written for you.
>
> >> I have removed Libre through apt-get purge but a remnant is still
> >> there. I get a menu in Office- LibreOffice. I have tried but do not
> >> know how to get rid of this remnant. Is this messing with my
> >> install? How do I get rid of it?
> >>

> > Try Sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core
> >
> > Then delete your OpenOffice profile ad previous Libreoffice profiles.
> > Easiest way is to open your Home folder, enable viewing of Hidden
> > Files (Ctrl H in Nautilus) and then delete or rename .openoffice and
> > .libreoffice.  Now reboot (perhaps not strictly necessary, but I
> > always do it - remembering old Windows install problems).  Now
> > reinstall AOO 3.4.  Hopefully all should now be well.
> >

> It seems that the "advice" (even in the AOO developer threads) is to rip
> out/purge LO in order to install AOO. This is just plain wrong... LO
> "advise" says the same about OOo/AOO.
>
> Please... it's not necessary to remove *anything* with a linux install
> of AOO - unless of course you can't figure out how to create a menu
> launcher/link to /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice. AOO will exist
> happily alongside LibreOffice (any flavor), and even older versions of OOo.
>
> @Rod: No idea what you were replying to, or to whom, but your *only*
> issue with the install it seems is attempting to install the
> desktop-integration .deb. Don't.
>
> The desktop-integration .deb (in OOo, AOO, LO) is, from a user
> perspective, an antiquated piece of code that should have been replaced
> long ago. Rather than providing independent /opt/ standard freedesktop
> menus, icons, and setup, openoffice.org3.4-debian-menus_3.4-9590_all.deb
> (and the others), the deb attempts to overwrite existing distro packaged
> code. This has been apparent for years in OOo - and so we (users) live
> with it and simply bypass any provided 'menus' deb file.
>
> All you need to do is install the main /AOOen-US3.4/DEBS files, and then
> create a menu/launcher to /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice - done.
> Unless of course you also have an old install of linux OOo/go-oo
> installed and do not wish to use/overwrite the user profile for that. In
> this case (Ubuntu/Debian)
>
> sudo gedit /opt/openoffice.org3/program/bootstraprc
>
> and then modify line 5 to:
> [...]

     I agree with you. I have AOO 3.4, LO 3.4.6, and LO 3.5.3 running on
my Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit tower. At times I may two or even all three
running at the same time. But I use the gnome desktop rather than Unity.
Though earlier I had two versions of OOo (one was stable version, the
second was a developer snapshot) on the Unity Dock.

--Dan