From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: File associations - LibreOffice and OpenOffice on Windows 7
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 20:40:05 GMT
You can try to add AOO associations manually, but it might not be effective.

The problem is that LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org, and Apache OpenOffice all use the same (old
Star Office) names for the individual application programs.  Even if you succeed in having
multiple swriter.exe associations, for example, you may have trouble telling them apart [;<).

I think you already know how to do this, by using the Open With ... context-menu and take
the "Choose Default Program" option.  You'll have to find the installed files and select them.
 Perhaps even make it the default at first, although you can select the program and remove
the check mark on "Always use the selected program ... ".

Thereafter, they should all be offered in the Open With ... without having to be added.  But
I suspect this is where you might be frustrated.  (This is how I add WinZip to all of the
ODF and OOXML extension names so I can simplify document-forensic work.)

 - Dennis

PS: I just got this working for .odds on a Vista configuration that has OpenOffice 3.3.0,
Symphony 3.0.1, and LibreOffice 3.4.3 installed.

PPS: Installing Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 seems to steal the default file associations, no matter
who has them.  Because of that I tend not to keep it around on any configurations where I
want to use other ODF-supporting programs.  (When uninstalled, AOO 3.4.0 leaves no associations
behind.)  I haven't tried the above procedure to get the other associations back.  That's
out of pique.  Let me know if it works for you.