From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Hong Kong Distributor (Free Software-Free CD-ROM)
Date Sun, 06 May 2012 21:14:02 GMT
There was an indiscriminate posting of an e-mail from info@ softwaredistributor.info to multiple
lists.  The post wasn't moderated onto this list.  But anyone subscribed to this list who
"Replied All ..." to its appearance on another list would have cross-posted here too.

The easiest place to see the thread is on the ooo-marketing list at < http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-marketing/201205.mbox/date>.

Basically, a distributor of OO.o on CD-ROM wants to have their listing changed on an old OpenOffice.org
page that lists such distributors.

This was solved by Andrea removing the listing entirely.  I say that's appropriate.

How to clean up the distribution of CD-ROMs and vet the list is being discussed on the ooo-dev@
list [;<).

It would be useful to know what users think about CD-ROM distributions too.

 - Dennis

MORE THOUGHTS

My personal concern is that there are difficulties knowing the authenticity and integrity
of such materials when provided by third parties.  These days, that can expose users to malware
and more-serious exploits.

One thought would be for CD-ROM ISO images to be available from the project or some other
single, highly-reliable source.  Those could be recorded and redistributed by anyone so long
as there is appropriate identification of their origin and how to verify that.  There would
need to be authentication and integrity measures on those CDs so folks could detect whether
they have a legitimate one, especially when troubleshooting and reporting problems.

Others will still do their own CD-ROM packaging; it is completely permissible under open-source
distribution conditions.  There is nothing to be done about who assures the authenticity of
those independent distributions and who stands up to support them (or not).  I don't think
Apache OpenOffice should be in the business of linking to such producers and it would be nice
if those distributions included how the producer will provide first-line support.

That's my personal perspective.  This is probably more-appropriate on ooo-dev, but I thought
power users here might have an interest also.