From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: File associations - LibreOffice and OpenOffice on Windows 7
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 18:06:47 GMT
Vista, and Windows 7 allow end users to establish more programs for the Open With ... context
menu without requiring any special tools or registry manipulation.  The renaming of the option
to be about choosing Defaults is misleading.  You can establish an additional program for
one execution and it is remembered for the context menu.  I have not checked to see whether
there is an Administrator privileges requirement though.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rod Lockwood [mailto:rodlockwood@provide.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 05:51
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: File associations - LibreOffice and OpenOffice on Windows 7

W7 Does not have the file types tab that XP had. However, you can download
the File Types Manager
(http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html) and use it to
create a second open option from the default. Say you want LO to be the
default, then you might add an "Open in OO" option. I used this for my
text files dilemma where I wanted Notepad for quick and dirty editing or
viewing and my text editor for when I want to edit polished files.

If you are familiar with editing file types in XP, it is fairly similar in
File Types Manager. Mostly it is that the interface is different.

Otherwise you would have to edit the registry directly.

--
Rod Lockwood <rodlockwood@provide.net>