From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Problem with 3.4
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 04:36:22 GMT
To add to those instructions:

Find the folder options and settings and arrange to show hidden folders.  (Application Data
and AppData are not visible by default.)

And, for a bonus, suppress the option to hide extensions on common file formats.  It is a
security measure to always know the supposed type of a file that you are dealing with.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Deaton [mailto:tim@timdeaton.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 20:25
To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Problem with 3.4

Renaming the profile is probably what's needed, but for someone with
"limited computer knowledge" a different kind of help is needed.  That
website is fine for me, but would be Greek to many others I know.

Reinstalling doesn't help because that doesn't replace the profile.

Perhaps this explanation will work better:

Open Windows Explorer, and under [Computer] open the [C] drive.
(You 'open' drives and folders by double-clicking on them.)

If you're using Windows XP:
Then open the [Documents and Settings] folder,
   then the folder whose name is your user-name
     then [Application Data],
       then [OpenOffice.org],
         then [3].
Now you'll see the [user] folder.
Right-click on it and change it's name to "user.old".

If you're using Vista or Windows 7:
Open the [Users] folder,
   then [Owner] (or your user name),
     then [AppData],
       then [Roaming],
         then [OpenOffice.org],
           then [3].
Now you'll see the [user] folder.
Right-click on it and change it's name to "user.old".

Now, re-start OpenOffice.