From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 01:42:36 GMT
On 04/01/2012 02:48 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello Rob Weir,
>
> Am 2012-03-31 09:57:48, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> The parent post was not sent by a list subscriber.  Apache lists
>> are configured to allow anyone to post, including
>> non-subscribers.  If someone is not a subscriber their posts are
>> held for moderation.  If they are not spam, I let the post
>> through.  This is true, even if the post is rude. (But if it
>> included a lot of swearing I would not let it through).
>
> And what about uses adding HUGE attachmenst of several MBytes  to
> there posts?
>
> On the OpenOffice List I was bombed arround 40 or 50 times with
> Mails of 4-8 MByte in size and I received the messages on my
> cellphone

Oh please. I count a total of 9 post attachments from 2005 to 2011 on
the OOo user list that are over 1MB in size. If you had any multiples
it was due to some 'helpful' list person that responded with the
original attachment included. Example:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/214256>

> If I am right, and I have already  gotten  such  monster  mails  on
> the <apache.org> lists, every one can bomb the whole lists whith
> such  crap, instead of using "pastebin" or other free public file
> services..
>
> Reals, I hate such users.  I have to pay 1 Euro/MByte if I am
> outside of the UMTS network and it is definitively not funny.

So find a better email/nntp client that allows you to download and
review only the headers + msg size prior to downloading.

In most cases I found/find OOo list attachments very helpful in
assisting the user.

> Such mails should be blocked in ANY case

Again, use an email/nntp client that can be configured to read
headers/size before downloading. If that doesn't work, then don't read
the list when you are in situations where you can't control the download.