From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:08:27 GMT
On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Mike Scott <mike@scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:

> On 01/04/12 18:01, M. Fioretti wrote:
>

>> On Sun, April 1, 2012 4:41 pm, Mike Scott wrote:
>>
>>  Actually, while I remember a disagreement, I'm not sure myself of the
>>> details. I think it might have been about using some sort of engine to
>>> guess a likely answer to unsubscribed queries - I vaguely seem to recall
>>> you didn't approve:
>>>

>> Yes, now I remember, thanks. I stepped in because you suggested a bayesian
>> autoresponder, and I explained why in my opinion it wouldn't work in this
>> case. But it was a purely technical disagreement, nothing personal. Heck,
>>

> Nothing personal taken. We're all allowed - I hope - our opinions.
>
> I did actually start categorising list responses at one time, just to see
> if a Bayesian system might work (it was only a particular example). But it
> was taking too much time, so I dropped the project and chucked the data. Ah
> well.

>  Bayesian filters cannot work in this case because they assume that the
>>

> Maybe. I don't know, and thought it might be worth trying. There's usually
> /some/ key word or phrase that gives the game away.

I think it is fair to say it would work some of the time.  But I don't
think there are any silver bullets here.

>  sender knows what he's talking about. And it's not needed at all, if the
>> sender receives answers from real humans anyway. But of course the copy
>>

> One thing I was trying to reduce was the endless repetition of the same
> answers. People have better things to do, I hope, than tell endless numbers
> of others the same thing over and over -- 'you unsubscribe by.......'.
> Boring to do, boring to see on list.

And I assume this is not fun for the user as well.   Writing to ooo-users
is probably not their first choice. I think when a user has a problem they
do things like:

1) Repeat the action

2) Quit OpenOffice and restart and try the action

3) Maybe reboot

4) Maybe hit F1 and see if the online help does anything

5) Post to Twitter "I hate OpenOffice, it can't do X"

6) Search Google (or Bing) for some words that they think are related to
the problem

7) Somehow end up on this mailing list.  But honestly I don't know the
exact path here.

So reducing repeated questions helps us and helps the user, especially if
we can get those FAQ's in front of their eyes earlier in the cycle, like at
step 6, or even step 4.  By the time they end up here, users tend to
already be frustrated.