From Jeffrey Deutsch <jdeutsch.aspl...@gmail.com>
Subject List Protocol Issues (was Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product])
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 02:22:39 GMT
Guten Morgen Frau Konzack (or may I call you Michelle?),

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Michelle Konzack <
linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

[snip]

[quoting Rob Weir:]

> > Now, let's look at it from the user's perspective, and have some
> sympathy.
>
> Absolutely NOT.

What does it cost to at least look at Mark Micloskey's point of view, if we
are judging him anyway?

> > Their first choice was not to send a note to this list.  Their post comes
> > at the end of a long chain of failures and frustrations, being bounced
> > around by Dell and Amazon, not figuring out OpenOffice, probably not
> > finding a good answer searching Google or on our website.
>
> Is the bouncing of Dell and Amazon the fault of LibreOffice?

Indeed it is not, and if Mr. Micloskey really thinks it is, he is mistaken.

I interpreted his point as "If it were not for LibreOffice's defects, it
wouldn't matter what happened with Dell or Amazon. Look how much
frustration LibreOffice is costing me!"

Dell and Amazon's defects may not themselves be LibreOffice's fault. But if
there is a defect in LibreOffice, and issues with Dell and Amazon made the
whole problem *worse*, that is a valid point.

In any case, he is not, as far as I can tell, personally attacking anyone
on here. His points could have been worded better...have you, Frau Konzack,
never gotten frustrated and then lashed out at someone? I sure have, more
times than I care to remember.

He is angry at the situation, not at us personally. He is certainly not
insulting us personally. Please let's keep that in mind.

> > A) First, since the original poster is not subscribed to the list, he is
> > not receiving any of the responses, unless he was explicitly copied on
> the
> > response.
>
> If he does not get an response, why does he post?

Because he did not know at the time he posted that he would not get a
response. He probably thought either that it was an individual email
address or in any case that he would certainly receive responses to any
questions he sent there.

> B) If the user does subscribe, they will likely soon be frustrated by
> > unrelated questions and answers, but be unable to unsubscribe themselves
> > without assistance.
>
> He should make a driver-license or a weapon-license for the Internet :-P

I'm not sure what that means. I suspect your first language is German not
English...can you tell me a bit of what you are trying to say?

(Incidentally, if your first language is not English, perhaps that affects
your interpretation of Mr. Micloskey's words?)

> > So we all want users to be able to resolve their issues, without
> > unnecessary complications.  I think the support forums are a much better
> > place for users to raise such questions.
>
> Right, they should post on Web-Forums and not bother mailinglists

Certainly a good point. People who object to getting questions and pleas
for help like the one we're discussing can ignore web forums much more
easily, leaving them to those who just want to help.

> > -Rob
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>    Michelle Konzack

Have a great day!

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

Your mood can affect how you read this e-mail. Please read it with a smile.
(http://tonecheck.com)