From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Ditching our mirror system for an inferior solution?
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:34:35 GMT
floris v brings up an excellent tangent to the download site question:

On 2012-04-13 5:23 AM, floris v wrote:
>...  With
> all the other commercial websites that offer OOo bundled with loads of
> suspicious other stuff that we get complaints about on the user forums
> SourceForge will be /one/ external download site that we /won't/ have to
> worry about.
> Peter aka floris v

Now that the AOO podling and ASF Infra now have a direct relationship
with SourceForge (a long established and reputable download site) for
handling parts of our AOO downloads, it also means that we can expect
them to quickly address issues if we raise them.

We've already seen elsewhere that Roberto and the SF team are eager to
work productively with us, so this is a win in terms of our ability to
ensure that there *aren't* any bogus downloads of confusingly similarly
named software hosted on SourceForge - or if there are, they'll be
willing to work with us on the issue.

We discussed the general issue of advertisements with the PPMC and with
Apache Branding, and while the ASF does not allow advertisements on any
apache.org owned domain, in specific cases it is fine for sites like
SourceForge to show ads on their own domain name while serving our
downloads.

- Shane