From floris v <floris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:55:42 GMT
Quoted from Caesar:
"I prefer the "newsstand" analogy. Which is more convenient: going to
several different newsstands every morning to buy several different
newspapers, or having them all delivered to you mailbox?

I prefer the mailbox."

I just checked. The user mailing list got some 300 posts in March,
that's a lot for this one, and it amounts to some ten posts per day. The
user community forum gets over ten times as many posts per day, on
average, over almost five years. Even the old oooforum.org still gets
more than ten genuine new posts every day, amid all the spam. Just think
what'd happen to your mailing list if all the people posting on just
those two forums would send their questions to this mailing list. You
may say "filtering", but then you forget that all those questions still
have to be answered.
I'm not opposed to mailing lists, mind you, they're excellent things for
people who like them, just as MS Office is great for people who like it.
The advantage of this mailing list is that it offers users an
opportunity to talk to the developers. And it's quiet.

As this topic started with hate mail, here's a sample of some of the
hate mail we get at the forums and of how we deal with it: The worst
office suite ever
<http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2468>. Have
a good day. :)

Peter aka floris v