From Mike Scott <m...@scottsonline.org.uk>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:15:04 GMT
On 01/04/12 18:01, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Sun, April 1, 2012 4:41 pm, Mike Scott wrote:
>
>> Actually, while I remember a disagreement, I'm not sure myself of the
>> details. I think it might have been about using some sort of engine to
>> guess a likely answer to unsubscribed queries - I vaguely seem to recall
>> you didn't approve:
>
> Yes, now I remember, thanks. I stepped in because you suggested a bayesian
> autoresponder, and I explained why in my opinion it wouldn't work in this
> case. But it was a purely technical disagreement, nothing personal. Heck,

Nothing personal taken. We're all allowed - I hope - our opinions.

I did actually start categorising list responses at one time, just to
see if a Bayesian system might work (it was only a particular example).
But it was taking too much time, so I dropped the project and chucked
the data. Ah well.

> Bayesian filters cannot work in this case because they assume that the

Maybe. I don't know, and thought it might be worth trying. There's
usually /some/ key word or phrase that gives the game away.

> sender knows what he's talking about. And it's not needed at all, if the
> sender receives answers from real humans anyway. But of course the copy

One thing I was trying to reduce was the endless repetition of the same
answers. People have better things to do, I hope, than tell endless
numbers of others the same thing over and over -- 'you unsubscribe
by.......'. Boring to do, boring to see on list.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England