From Mike Scott <m...@scottsonline.org.uk>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:06:45 GMT
On 01/04/12 17:49, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Sun, April 1, 2012 4:31 pm, Mike Scott wrote:
>
>> There's still those who 'bought' OOo on one of those dubious
>> websites, and been given the mail list as the "support" email address. I
>> see that as a good reason for requiring subscription.
>
> First of all, if they politely ask for help instead of demanding a refund,
> why shouldn't they get it? Secondly, IIRC, those people are MUCH less than

No reason at all. I was just thinking that they're likely to be the ones
that think this is a formal "support line", and having paid (in their
mind) for the service are more likely to be stroppy.

> those who did download the software for free from the original website,
> but will panic when subscribed to a mailing list, make everybody's life
> impossible because they can't unsubscribe etc.
>
> And in any case you will never cover all the possible cases with a bunch
> of volunteers and none or very little money for infrastructure. Just
> ignore the corner cases. Trying to deal with all the possible corner cases
> of "how to recognize unsubscribed users from email headers" is what
> paralyzed ooo-users for ten years.

No. But "corner cases" can be mighty annoying, far beyond what their
mere numbers might suggest. Although I suppose if no-one (or just one)
rose to the bait, it might help. There's a reason for the saying, "do
not feed the trolls", which I see applies here too.

>......  On ooo-users there were
> "volunteers" who NEVER bothered to change the subject when they answered,
> and when I explained to them how and why this was a disservice, all I got
> was insults.

Now that really is a sad state of affairs. I'm sorry.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England