From Mike Scott <>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:18:24 GMT
On 01/04/12 00:57, Rob Weir wrote:
> But note that despite these limitations other Apache projects do fine with
> their existing users lists.  Some are quite large.  The Tomcat users list,
> for example, has over 3000 subscribers and at times has had over 4000
> posts/month:

That's a totally unfair comparison though! (Sorry to be blunt)

"Apache Tomcat is an open source software implementation of the Java
Servlet and JavaServer Pages ...." (I'd never even heard of it before).
OOo/AOO clearly has an intended rather wider and less computer-literate
user interest base. It's hardly surprising the OO list has more problems
due to unskilled users.

The question here is how to offer help /both/ to those who can barely
find the on-off switch much less describe a problem concisely, as well
as to those who are highly competent and technically skilled.

Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: