From Mike Scott <m...@scottsonline.org.uk>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 07:32:41 GMT
On 31/03/2012 23:43, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> It is fascinating to me that when users figure out how to submit a
> bug on our Bugzilla, it is likely closed as an user support question,
> usually with a remark that the support lists be used.

Bugzilla was (is??) a real pain. As an ordinary user, it was never clear
what many of the categories meant. I eventually gave up and simply
worked round bugs (if no help was possible from the list).

> Hah!

Indeed.

> Meanwhile, I completely support seeing if there is a secure way to
> implement Marco Fieretti's technique for pseudo-subscribing
> unsubscribed users.  I don't have the chops for that, but I would
> certainly like to see someone who does and can work with ASF
> Infrastructure to do it.

Marco and I don't agree on the "right" way (if indeed there is any such
thing), but I fully support the basic idea of an auto-responder. Others
differ, I know. I see the switch to Apache as a good time to set such
things in motion.

I did mention elsewhere about gatewaying between the list and a web
forum, which might offer possibilities, but would be harder. One could
do both!

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England