From NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Mozilla-like installation for Linux?
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 00:58:54 GMT
On 03/22/2012 10:56 PM, Terry wrote:
> The post below reminds me of an old chestnut.  Linux versions are now
>  packaged as rpms or debs.  That could be problematic if the
> installer works in a way which is incompatible with a particular
> operating system (OS).
>
> That problem is always on my mind.  Try as I have, I have been unable
> to find (so far) a Linux OS which suits me as well as my present one.
> I have also been unable to find a Linux operating system which
> supports OpenOffice.  Sooner or later, I will quite possibly have to
> switch to LibreOffice just because the OO installer borks my OS.

Which distro?

The .deb files install to the /opt directory so there is not
interference with a system installed OO. I have multiple OO's installed
on this system, including the original distro supplied OOo 3.2:

$ locate soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice.bin
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/soffice.bin
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin
/opt/x-openoffice.org3-x/program/soffice.bin
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice.bin

I'd have to fire up Fedora in a VM to find out where the .rpm files are
installed, but I seem to recollect that they also were installed /opt?

> My recollection is that several years ago there was at least a
> discussion about the possibility of a package of the same kind as
> Firefox and Thunderbird.  Mozilla provides a compressed folder
> containing everything you need apart from plugins and, I dare say,
> Mozilla could include plugins if it wanted to.
>
> In other words, the Mozilla software does NOT interfere with the
> operating system.  It is self-contained.

That would most likely make things easier for some, more difficult for
others. On the latter; I prefer having separate .deb packages as then I
can cull the unwanted dictionaries etc., before installing. Also, the
program is so large that I find it nice to be able to watch the terminal
log & if a .deb package failed to install, see the error message for
that particular package.