From Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New User - Download Query
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 16:01:02 GMT

On 2012-03-07 5:49 AM  Peter Smith wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Having recently downloaded and installed  OpenOffice.org 3  I see that I have what appears
to be 4 separate program files on my system that are almost identical, all of which I have
saved into a folder entitled 'Open Office'. The actual OOo program seems to be working fine
on my new iMac, but I am wondering whether or not I need to keep all the 4 files, or if 3
are in fact duplicates which can be deleted.

> The files downloaded are as follows:
> OOo_3-1.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_en-us.dmg  Date Modified 17 Jan 2011 15.28  169.5MB  Disk
Image
> OOo_3-2.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_en-us.dmg  Date Modified 17 Jan 2011 15.28  169.5MB  Disk
Image
> OOo_3-3.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_en-us.dmg  Date Modified 17 Jan 2011 15.28  169.5MB  Disk
Image
> OOo_3-3.0_MacOSx86_install_en-us.dmg  Date Modified 5 Feb 2011 15.33  169.5MB  Disk Image
>
> The Open Office Download Page seems to imply that the program needs around 400MB of disk
space so I am confused by the total amount of the Download.

> As each file has a slightly different numerical beginning I am lead to wonder if each
one listed may perhaps be an updated version of the previous file, and whether the last one
(i.e. OOo_3-3.0_ ...) is the only one which I need to keep, but before deleting anything I
would appreciate it if someone could give me advice in this connection.

> Thank you to anyone who can help.
>
> Peter Smith

Those are the disk images which contain the application. Once you copy OpenOffice.org.app
into
your Applications folder you can delete the .dmg file. Did you install OOo?

The .dmg is a compressed file and once opened, the application is contains is about 400MB.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com