From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:57:48 GMT
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Caesar <caesar@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 19:51:42 -0400, Stacie Jones
> <queenigraine@gmail.com> wrote Re Re: I Hate Your Product:
>
> >Is it a prerequisite that everyone on this list have absolutely no manners
> >whatsoever? I'm so sick of getting these nasty messages.
>
> I'm glad you brought this up.  This list server seems to have the
> highest percentage of computer-clueless people I have seen anywhere.
> It's unbelievable.  The top posters are the worst offenders.

A quick perspective from a list moderator.

The parent post was not sent by a list subscriber.  Apache lists are
configured to allow anyone to post, including non-subscribers.  If someone
is not a subscriber their posts are held for moderation.  If they are not
spam, I let the post through.  This is true, even if the post is rude.
(But if it included a lot of swearing I would not let it through).

Now, let's look at it from the user's perspective, and have some sympathy.
Their first choice was not to send a note to this list.  Their post comes
at the end of a long chain of failures and frustrations, being bounced
around by Dell and Amazon, not figuring out OpenOffice, probably not
finding a good answer searching Google or on our website.

However, I think a user that is in this state is not best served by sending
a note to this list.

A) First, since the original poster is not subscribed to the list, he is
not receiving any of the responses, unless he was explicitly copied on the
response.

B) If the user does subscribe, they will likely soon be frustrated by
unrelated questions and answers, but be unable to unsubscribe themselves
without assistance.

So we all want users to be able to resolve their issues, without
unnecessary complications.  I think the support forums are a much better
place for users to raise such questions.

What do you think?   What is the purpose of this ooo-users list compared to
the support forums?  On some project communications we advertise both as
equal support avenues for users to raise problems.  Is that what we should
be doing?  In other words, what is the purpose of this list and how do we
make that clear to users?

-Rob