From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Differences between OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:40:50 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a discussion on the Debian list right now about the
> differences between OpenOffice and LibreOffice. As the two office
> suites diverge, it will become more and more important to document the
> differences between them. Therefore I have started a page to document
> these differences:
> http://dotancohen.com/eng/difference_openoffice_libreoffice.html

First, thanks for putting together this page.  But second, there is no
good reason why AOO and LO should render documents differently.  No
doubt the applications will diverge in features, but they should be
rendering the common overlapping features the same.   If they differ
then we (the developer communities) need to understand why, and
discuss ways of converging.  That was the whole point of ODF.  A
common format that encourages interoperability among different
implementations.

> If you come across any other differences, or if any corrections need
> to be made, then please contact me and I will update the document. It
> is currently just a list of bugs but I intend to develop the page into
> stand-alone explanation of the differences intended for the layman.

I hope to frustrate your efforts by ensuring that your list never gets
long enough to become interesting ;-)

-Rob