From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:58:02 GMT
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Stacie Jones <queenigraine@gmail.com> wrote:
> So has data been leaked? Is that why we need the patch?

Here's how it works:

Security researchers, some in large companies, some in small
specialized companies or consultancies, test software, open source and
proprietary, for possibly vulnerabilities.  These are the good guys.
We sometimes call them the "white hats".

When they find a possible way in which an application could be
exploited, the contact the vendor (or open source project) to report
the vulnerability.  We then work with the researcher to understand the
issue and how to mitigate it, how to patch it, and ultimately how to
notify the public.  The industry calls this "Responsible Disclosure".

At the same time the "white hats" are working on finding
vulnerabilities, there are also unfortunately "black hats" doing the
same thing.  They are looking for vulnerabilities to exploit for
malicious purposes.  They are the ones who write viruses and worms to
exploit product vulnerabilities.  They, obviously, do not work within
the system of Responsible Disclosure.

So this particular vulnerability, for which we announced a patch
today, came through the Responsible Disclosure route.  We are aware of
no exploitation of it "in the wild".  However, best practice would be
to still patch your system.

Regards,

-Rob