From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:57:39 GMT
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> Non-subscriber posts ARE moderated.
>
> However, the moderators have limited options with regard to
> approving/rejecting posts.  One can approve the message or reject it.  (A
> reason for rejection can be given but I have no idea what is done with
> those.)

I assume it goes back to the sender.  I've used that markup a few times,
but I've never seen what it looks like on the receiving end.  Maybe worth
an experiment sometime.

> The moderator sees the message as an attachment to the moderation message.
>  It is possible to reply to it in addition-to/instead-of allowing the post
> to go to the list.
>
> The problem is that all (the few, the proud, the irritable) moderators
> here receive the same message for moderation approval/rejection.  The
> moderators can copy each other via the moderator address so the others know
> the disposition, but it gets ungainly quickly.
>
> In moderating here, my job is done if I see that the post has already
> reached the list.  If not, I check the submitted message mainly for spam to
> discard, including the occasional LinkedIn connection request to the list.
>  I will not know whether another moderator has done the same thing already.

I do similar, but I don't check to see if the post is already on the list.
if you approve an already-approved message it is a no-op.  So I find it is
faster to approve than to check the list.  Your mileage may vary.

> If the message is related to OpenOffice-lineage support, I approve it,
> allowing peer support to do the rest.
>
> As this list becomes a bigger target for support requests/grievances/etc,
> human moderation will break down under scale.

Summarizing the analysis of user support via ooo-users mailing list:

Pro:

Some users prefer email
Some volunteers prefer email
Does not require registration

Con:

Users not receiving responses since they are often not subscribed
Users posting personal information because they think they are posting to a
private address
Users frustrated by traffic level of list
Users unable to unsubscribe
Attachments not allowed
Not easy to search for previous issses and resolutions
No ability to categorize issues, update useless subject lines (e.g,,
"Help!") or mark an issue as resolved.

But note that despite these limitations other Apache projects do fine with
their existing users lists.  Some are quite large.  The Tomcat users list,
for example, has over 3000 subscribers and at times has had over 4000
posts/month:

http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.tomcat.users

 How do they manage it?  Is it purely skill level of the users?  End user
versus server products?

-Rob

 - Dennis