From Umberto Tosi <umberto3...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: false "recover files" messages
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 07:37:48 GMT
Many thanks, Rory. I'll give all these suggestions a shot.  Have a good
weekend.

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 01:05:32 -0600
> Umberto Tosi <umberto3000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Rory and Terry, et al..
> > Maybe I spoke too soon. I did encountered another strange problem when I
> > opened an existing Writer file. Off and on I get this error message.
> > "Runtime Error!
> > "Program: C\ProgramFile\OpenOffice\soffice.bin
> > "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual
> way."
> > (When I click 'OK' on the Error message,or close the message box, Open
> > Office quits. )
> > After a few more tries. OO.o writer opens an "untitled" file instead of
> the
> > existing file that I wanted, followed by it also (finally) opening the
> > existing file that I originally chose. This happens only when I open a
> file
> > from my Library, not when I open OpenOffice and go through the splash
> page.
> > )
> > (BTW - I've used Open office for nearly three years prior to this and
> never
> > had a problem. These problems turned up after an automatic update to 3.3.
> > I uninstalled it and downloaded a new copy of 3.1 but I still keep
> getting
> > all these errors.  What's up with that?  Thanks.
>
> What version of Windows are you using?  If Windows 7, either uninstall
> Internet Explorer 9 (even if not used!) or do a repair installation of
> OpenOffice and select _not_ to automatically check for updates.  If Vista,
> ditto for IE9 (IE8 is reinstalled automagically). If those suggestions
> bring no improvement, I'd uninstall OOo (Revo Uninstaller at most
> aggressive settings is normally recommended on the Forum), reboot the
> computer, and now reinstall OOo.  Some automatic backup utilities can cause
> problems - I remember reports of Comodo, for example - if they touch the
> OOo files while open.
>
> If uninstalling, do please ensure that your files are well backed up, and
> in directories not part of the OOo structure, which they should never be
> anyway.
>
> There are reported peculiarities attaching to opening an OOo file from its
> icon, rather than the long way.  Such peculiarities include undefined
> language, I think; I can't remember what the others were.
>
> I'm off the air now - going to do Saturday things.
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>

Umberto Tosi
805-258-1712
Books
http://www.amazon.com/Umberto-Tosi/e/B002887QCW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Reflections
http://no2shrinkwrapthoughts.blogspot.com/
Einstein Express
http://einsteinxpress.blogspot.com/
Dogs Ate My Manuscript
http://zero2inifinity.blogspot.com/
Photonics - Illustrated Nanostories
http://photonicfiction.blogspot.com/

*"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be." * -- Yogi Berra.