From Umberto Tosi <umberto3...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: false "recover files" messages
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 07:05:32 GMT
Thanks Rory and Terry, et al..
Maybe I spoke too soon. I did encountered another strange problem when I
opened an existing Writer file. Off and on I get this error message.
"Runtime Error!
"Program: C\ProgramFile\OpenOffice\soffice.bin
"This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way."
(When I click 'OK' on the Error message,or close the message box, Open
Office quits. )
After a few more tries. OO.o writer opens an "untitled" file instead of the
existing file that I wanted, followed by it also (finally) opening the
existing file that I originally chose. This happens only when I open a file
from my Library, not when I open OpenOffice and go through the splash page.
)
(BTW - I've used Open office for nearly three years prior to this and never
had a problem. These problems turned up after an automatic update to 3.3.
I uninstalled it and downloaded a new copy of 3.1 but I still keep getting
all these errors.  What's up with that?  Thanks.

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 22:02:06 -0600
> Umberto Tosi <umberto3000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It worked. My OO.o now is rogue-recovery function free! I'm able to open
> > Open Office flawlessly --- via splash page or from an individual file.
> >
> >   I followed Rory's suggestion and found the offending recovery.xcu file
> > and deleted, though I had to go to the "more search options," because,
> like
> > you predicted, a straight search didn't find it.
> > Thanks to all for you help.
> > Is this problem due to a bug in Open Office?
> > Should it be reported as such? Thanks again!
>
> In terms of Advanced or normal searching, as a long time computer user
> (probably with many bad habits as a result) I would only ever search for
> all files, including hidden and system files, so might not think to specify
> that an advanced search was necessary.  As far as I know, the recovery
> mechanism has changed between OOo 3.1 and 3.3; in any event a bug, if it be
> such, in such old releases is unlikely to be serviced. Why the file does
> not sometimes deleted when the recovery is accepted or declined is
> undetermined; it may be due to some form of user error.
>
> Normally such an error message is cured by deleteing or renaming the User
> Profile, which seems to cure a large proportion of OOo peculiarities.  In
> the case of the advanced user of OOo, renaming the profile may
> theoretically be best, as this allows the individual customisation files to
> be brought forward individually to preserve customisation such as special
> templates and dictionaries.  To be honest, the only customisation I worry
> about as a Writer user is the dictionaries; I have the OED dictionary
> preserved in a download directory and can easily reinstall it; other
> dictionaries are usually personal names, which vary from project to
> project, and these dictionaries are easily rebuilt on need, so I'd simply
> zap the Profile.
>
> May I recommend that you check the User Forum at
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum if you have further
> problems, be they configuration (as this one) or usage.  To search the
> Forum it is not necessary to register, although this must be done (as an
> anti spam measure) if you wish to post a specific query.
>

> --
> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>

Umberto Tosi
805-258-1712
Books
http://www.amazon.com/Umberto-Tosi/e/B002887QCW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Reflections
http://no2shrinkwrapthoughts.blogspot.com/
Einstein Express
http://einsteinxpress.blogspot.com/
Dogs Ate My Manuscript
http://zero2inifinity.blogspot.com/
Photonics - Illustrated Nanostories
http://photonicfiction.blogspot.com/

*"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be." * -- Yogi Berra.