From Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:05:04 GMT
At 11:28 31/03/2012 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>The autoresponder thing sounds interesting.  So you don't allow any
>non-subscriber traffic.  Any posts from non-subscribers get an
>automatic response that presumably outlines their support options,
>tells them they would need to subscribe first if they want to post
>to the ooo-users list, maybe gives some hints for writing useful
>support request posts, etc.
>
>I think that would be an improvement.   What do others think?

Aaargh, no!

Users with problems send their request.  The automatic response
doesn't answer their question, so they give up.  Or they read it and
subscribe.  They get no reply (the response has gone into their junk)
so they give up.  Or they see that response but are still surprised
that its doesn't answer their query.  They give up.  Or they might
conceivably confirm their subscription and send their query yet
again.  Then they see list messages and send many messages saying
"Why are you writing to me about this?  Please stop" or "Sorry, I
can't help you: I'm just trying to ask a question."  There then
follow messages from "experts" about how silly it was to shout or not
to quote version numbers or operating system.  Oh, and a long
interaction (also shouted, of course) about how to get off this
<expletive deleted> list.

Once they are gone, it leaves the list to discuss more important
topics, such as top-posting, anti-Microsoft propaganda, how
non-subscribers should be dealt with ...

;^)

Brian Barker