From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: A moderator's view of this list [was: Re: I Hate Your Product]
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 20:40:38 GMT
Le Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:57:48 -0400, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> a écrit :
> A) First, since the original poster is not subscribed to the list, he is
> not receiving any of the responses, unless he was explicitly copied on the
> response.

Well, it's part of the channel. There are ways to spot unsubscribed posters (there are some
bugs in TB preventing that, I agree) So up to the list power users to handle such posters.
On the former OOo mailing list, users were quite used to CC OP when not subscribed IIRC (and
at this time TB was doing a good job at spotting the headers, ok I'll stop here no TB devs
here).

> B) If the user does subscribe, they will likely soon be frustrated by
> unrelated questions and answers, but be unable to unsubscribe themselves
> without assistance.
>
> So we all want users to be able to resolve their issues, without
> unnecessary complications.  I think the support forums are a much better
> place for users to raise such questions.
>
> What do you think?   What is the purpose of this ooo-users list compared to
> the support forums?  On some project communications we advertise both as
> equal support avenues for users to raise problems.  Is that what we should
> be doing?  In other words, what is the purpose of this list and how do we
> make that clear to users?

Basically, I'm not sure that redirecting a user to another place (forum for example) would
help, it doesn't answer the question and it adds frustration (he has to register the forum
whereas he was expecting a direct answer from the list).

What would be the list then? A place for somehow advanced users only? ... Just saw your post
in the mean time, so yes, that's what you want.
Then, the solution is quite simple: forbid any non subscribed user.
But is it really the kind of support the community wants? Some users don't want to use forums,
does it means that they are on their own?
You're dealing with a low level user base with OOo. The public is not made of developers used
to mailing lists here, they are standard or low knowledge users. The former list was full
of duplicates, the same questions come again and again, but that's the job.
We have this kind of eternal September in the forum too. We could just reply "RTFM" or "Google
is your friend". But we know that if the user asked the question, that's because he hasn't
RTFM or searched the web or the forum. So we give the reply and that's all, that's part of
the job (it doesn't prevent to add a note inviting to search the next time).

Perhaps there are good reasons from our side to be bored with such users but their situation
is special: they got frustrated about the application (from their point of view) and first
they are not in their normal state and second any reply that doesn't help will be seen as
proof that the product is not user oriented.

Hagar