From "Girvin R. Herr" <girvin.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: CVE-2012-0037: OpenOffice.org data leakage vulnerability
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:20:03 GMT

Dan Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 15:17 -0700, Terry wrote:
>
>> This quote from the page mentioned by Rob:
>>
>> <quote>Linux and other platforms should consult their distro or OS vendor for
patch instructions.</quote>

>> My distro doesn't support OpenOffice; most, I gather, don't.

Dan,
First, I must divulge that I am a retired software/hardware engineer, so I do have experience
in compiling programs under Linux.  Some time ago, I did compile OO.o 2.x for my Slackware
Linux workstation, which does not come with OO.o support.  Although I didn't have any errors.
it took about 3 hours to do so on my 1.2GHz 1GB Athlon system, so I have since been repackaging
the downloaded OO.o binary packages into Slackware packages for installation.

So, I too am in the class of Linux users who download the binary OO.o and are left out in
the cold with this new scary Apache policy.  It deeply concerns me that there is any "discussion"
at all regarding Linux support.  Although it may not be intended, it appears to me that Apache
is cutting off the *nix limb of the OO.o tree.  That does not bode well for us Linux users
who have grown dependent on OO.o for maintaining our documents and, more importantly and more
critical to me, our database forms and reports.  It makes me want to look for another Open
Document office suite.  Instead of being loyal to OO.o (aka AOO now) maybe I should take another
look at LO...

I will at least be watching this issue closely and how Apache reacts.

Girvin Herr