incubator-ooo-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: section problem
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:06:12 GMT
It seems rather similar to that problem: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47761
there is also another link to a bug report at the end.

Hagar


> Fred,
> Thanks for your response. Your grammar is fine. I understand you perfectly.
>
> Creating a 2-column page style would be good, but I want part of my page as single column.
I only want the table to be in a 2-column section so it flows without editing the data in
the table. So, that rules out a 2-column page style.
>
> The section creation works fine, but when I paste a table into that section, that is
when things go wrong. I think I read somewhere that OO uses the term "section" when referring
to including other document parts into the main document. That is probably useful when using
a "Master Document". I am not doing that. My document is linear. That "section" term may be
what you are referring to when you say using sections is difficult. The page "section" I am
referring to is not all that difficult. It is as simple as Insert -> Section from the top
menu. One time I created a section and couldn't figure out how to delete it. Since reading
the Guide, I now know that a section can be "Removed" by Format -> Sections and selecting
the section name and "Remove". So adding a section isn't all that difficult.
>
> Upon request, I sent my troublesome table to another user who is using OO 3.1.1 and he
reports that he did not experience the problem I was with OO 3.3.0. Therefore, this problem
must be a bug in 3.3.0.
>
> Since posting this problem, I discovered that if I save the bad 2-column section document
and open it up later, the bad formatting clears up and the table looks fine. Unfortunately,
now it takes 6 minutes to save the 10 MB document!
> Thanks again for your help.
> Girvin
>
>
> Fred Juan DIAZ wrote:
>> Hi Girvin
>>
>> I always try to avoid using sections in OO because they aren't easy to use,
>> and because OO prefers a "style logic", especially if you need to do
>> something on a whole page.
>> ... so I won't bring you an answer using sections.
>>
>> Proposition : create your own page style with 2 columns
>> for example, call it twocol or whatever you want
>> then insert manually page jump with your twocol page style.
>>
>> This solution is easier to manage because the sections in OO don't
>> work like sections in W$$d
>> and because when you need a page style, you just have to insert the
>> corresponding jump.
>>
>> other advantage : using styles in a doc make it lighter in bytes and
>> faster to work with.
>>
>> hope this to be useful and excuse me for the grammar mistakes.
>>
>> Fred Juan Diaz
>> ============
>>
>>
>> Le 18 mars 2012 01:51, Girvin R. Herr <girvin.herr@sbcglobal.net> a écrit
:
>>> Greetings,
>>> I am using OO.o 3.3.0 [OOO330m20 (Build:9567)] under Linux. I have an 85
>>> page (so far) Writer document I am writing that includes a 4-page table
>>> which I am trying to place into 2 columns in an area of the document. I
>>> only want the table in a 2-column format, not the text before and after the
>>> table. I inserted a 2-column "section" before the table, selected the
>>> table, cut and pasted it into the new section and that's when strange things
>>> happened. The table starts out fine for the first 1.5 pages then, instead
>>> of continuing into the 2nd column on that page, there are 4 "blank" but
>>> unselectable phantom pages inserted before the remaining part of the table
>>> continues in column 1 again. These "blank" pages cannot be typed into nor
>>> do they have the section's column separator lines down the center. And yes,
>>> they do print as blank pages. Putting the cursor at the end of the last
>>> cell of the table's first part, using the cursor keys to step to the next
>>> cell, jumps over the "blank" pages to the beginning of the first cell of the
>>> 2nd part of the table. This "feature" effectively turned my 4-page table
>>> into a 7-page table! That is *not* the direction I wanted to go in to save
>>> paper!
>>>
>>> I tried this same procedure in a new document by copy-pasting the 1-column
>>> table into the new document and following the same procedure to create the
>>> 2-column table section. Same result. So it isn't something else in the
>>> large, almost 10MB document. This is either a bug or something I am doing
>>> wrong. I followed the procedure in the OpenOffice Writer Guide, Chapter 4 -
>>> Formatting Pages; Using Sections for Page Layout.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what is going on here? Is this a bug? Is it a known bug?
>>> Is there a work-around for this?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Girvin Herr
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: ooo-users-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: ooo-users-help@incubator.apache.org
>>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: ooo-users-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: ooo-users-help@incubator.apache.org
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: ooo-users-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: ooo-users-help@incubator.apache.org
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: ooo-users-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: ooo-users-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message