From "rndmartin" <rndmar...@cix.co.uk>
Subject Re: Report a bug
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:39:23 GMT
You could set automatic save?

Niall Martin
Sent from my mobile.

----- Reply message -----
From: "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org>
Date: Thu, Mar 15, 2012 22:29
Subject: Report a bug
To: <ooo-users@incubator.apache.org>

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net> wrote:

> hi,
>
> See  http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677
>
> But if you shut down the machine before it has ended all the processes,
> don't expect any application to do better.

I've been thinking about this some.  We're dealing with a complex
system of the user, the application, the operating system, the
hardware and the electrical power. Failure can happen at any point.
We manage to escape application crashes from setting your house on
fire.  That wasn't always so in the history of computing.   Failures
are generally limited, or at least engineers try their best.

If power goes out during a save operation, three failures can
generally occur (and I'm speaking generally, not just about
OpenOffice):

1) The user loses the data that was in memory but not yet written to disk.

2) The user loses both the data that was in memory (current state of
the document) as well as the previous state of the document (the
version already on disk)

3) The user loses both versions of the document as well as corrupts
their file system causing other, totally unrelated files to be lost.

Anyone remember #3, how things were 20 years ago?  Hopefully OS
vendors have generally solved that problem.  But I think we know how
to solve, or at least reduce problem #2.  The trick is to reduce the
"window of vulnerability" for total loss by saving initially to a
temporary file, and only after the file is completely saved then
rename it. Since an OS-level rename operation is lighting fast, you
reduce your risk.  And if power does go out during the rename
operation, modern OS's will know enough to rollback the file names so
you still have your temporary file in place.  Then the app can check
for any temporary files when it loads and offer to restore them.

So it is possible to do something reasonable here.   Of course, in
case 1) above, auto backup is your friend.

-Rob