From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: false "recover files" messages
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 06:25:35 GMT
On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:47:46 -0600
Umberto Tosi <umberto3000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay. Latest installment in the saga of the false recovery files.  I
> downloaded and installed Revo Uninstaller (free trial version).
> It works very well, thank you.
>
> I couldn't quite follow what you said about uninstalling only the profile
> and customzing it...
>
> But I did backup my files and used Revo to uninstall OO.o 3.1 as you
> suggested. That worked fine.
>
> Then I went to OO.o online and clicked to  download the office suite 3.3
> (also as you suggested. )
>
> I've downloaded OO.o a couple of times and never had a problem.
> BUT this time, the download and installation failed twice!
> The first time it only downloaded the "Weather Bug" which I really didn't
> need, but apparently was bundled with OO.o.
> The second time (and third) I went back to OpenOffice.org and tried again.
> Both times the exe downloaded for a good hour and at the end I get this
> error message:
>
> *"C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US(2).exe
> could not be saved, because the source file could not be read...."
> *
> What's up with that!
> I never had such a problem with OO.o or any open source software,
> frankly!!!
> (Now I have no Open Office!)
> Please advise. Thanks.
> (BTW- I was able to get rid of a pesky app in the process that Windows
> uninstaller didn't phase.)

<older postings snipped>

Your remark on downloading "Weather Bug" leads me to suspect that you may have been downloading
from some third party source; a "genuine" OpenOffice includes no such add-ons or rogue toolbars.
 On User Forum we always advise only to download from the link on www.openoffice.org or as
redirected by its loadsharing.  Before installing a download of OpenOffice it can be useful
to check file integrity by the MD5Sum process.  See http://www.openoffice.org/download/md5sums/index.html
for details.

The (2) in the filename you quote above indicates that this is the third copy of a file with
that name on your computer.  Probably you do not need another download.  I suggest you try
the MD5Sum process; if the checksum matches one or other copy of the file, then install from
that.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>