From Rory O'Farrell <>
Subject Re: false "recover files" messages
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 06:25:35 GMT
On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:47:46 -0600
Umberto Tosi <> wrote:

> Okay. Latest installment in the saga of the false recovery files.  I
> downloaded and installed Revo Uninstaller (free trial version).
> It works very well, thank you.
> I couldn't quite follow what you said about uninstalling only the profile
> and customzing it...
> But I did backup my files and used Revo to uninstall OO.o 3.1 as you
> suggested. That worked fine.
> Then I went to OO.o online and clicked to  download the office suite 3.3
> (also as you suggested. )
> I've downloaded OO.o a couple of times and never had a problem.
> BUT this time, the download and installation failed twice!
> The first time it only downloaded the "Weather Bug" which I really didn't
> need, but apparently was bundled with OO.o.
> The second time (and third) I went back to and tried again.
> Both times the exe downloaded for a good hour and at the end I get this
> error message:
> *"C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US(2).exe
> could not be saved, because the source file could not be read...."
> *
> What's up with that!
> I never had such a problem with OO.o or any open source software,
> frankly!!!
> (Now I have no Open Office!)
> Please advise. Thanks.
> (BTW- I was able to get rid of a pesky app in the process that Windows
> uninstaller didn't phase.)

<older postings snipped>

Your remark on downloading "Weather Bug" leads me to suspect that you may have been downloading
from some third party source; a "genuine" OpenOffice includes no such add-ons or rogue toolbars.
 On User Forum we always advise only to download from the link on or as
redirected by its loadsharing.  Before installing a download of OpenOffice it can be useful
to check file integrity by the MD5Sum process.  See
for details.

The (2) in the filename you quote above indicates that this is the third copy of a file with
that name on your computer.  Probably you do not need another download.  I suggest you try
the MD5Sum process; if the checksum matches one or other copy of the file, then install from

Rory O'Farrell <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message