From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Microsoft Word 2010 document margin and table issue when rendered in OpenOffice 3.2/3.3
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 09:14:12 GMT
On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:34:23 +0300
"Abraham Mathew" <abraham.mathew@kcs.com.kw> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I have a user generated document from Microsoft Word 2010 , it
> displays good in Microsoft Word 2010 and also can be saved as
> PDF in Microsoft Word 2010.
>
> When a user opens it in OpenOffice 3.3 the get a different
> layout and there is issues with how the tables and table cells
> are displayed, the same appear in the PDF when the user saves
> it as PDF from OpenOffice
>
> I am at wits end and don't know what to explain to the user?
> Also the pdf is used for printing and signature and it looks
> bad in it.

> Can someone explain?
>
> Why is the OpenOffice code or usecase for rendering Microsoft
> word documents not taking care of such cases?
>
> Please someone advice what I should explain?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Abraham Mathew.

The quick answer is the the filters to convert from MS formats to
OpenOffice formats have been reverse engineered, and are not
perfect, as you have found.  They work for less complex cases,
but fail as formating becomes more complicated. Formatting
variations between platforms are also caused by differences in
installed fonts, which are rarely identical (or all available)
between platforms.

If formatting invariance is required, it is essential to use one
application only, rather than try to maintain invariance across
operating system platforms and differing applications.  Indeed,
when final layout is involved, it needs to be restricted to the
same machine and application, as there can be minute variations
even within applications and similar operating systems.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>