From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: false "recover files" messages
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 07:30:42 GMT
On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 01:05:32 -0600
Umberto Tosi <umberto3000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Rory and Terry, et al..
> Maybe I spoke too soon. I did encountered another strange problem when I
> opened an existing Writer file. Off and on I get this error message.
> "Runtime Error!
> "Program: C\ProgramFile\OpenOffice\soffice.bin
> "This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way."
> (When I click 'OK' on the Error message,or close the message box, Open
> Office quits. )
> After a few more tries. OO.o writer opens an "untitled" file instead of the
> existing file that I wanted, followed by it also (finally) opening the
> existing file that I originally chose. This happens only when I open a file
> from my Library, not when I open OpenOffice and go through the splash page.
> )
> (BTW - I've used Open office for nearly three years prior to this and never
> had a problem. These problems turned up after an automatic update to 3.3.
> I uninstalled it and downloaded a new copy of 3.1 but I still keep getting
> all these errors.  What's up with that?  Thanks.

What version of Windows are you using?  If Windows 7, either uninstall Internet Explorer 9
(even if not used!) or do a repair installation of OpenOffice and select _not_ to automatically
check for updates.  If Vista, ditto for IE9 (IE8 is reinstalled automagically). If those suggestions
bring no improvement, I'd uninstall OOo (Revo Uninstaller at most aggressive settings is normally
recommended on the Forum), reboot the computer, and now reinstall OOo.  Some automatic backup
utilities can cause problems - I remember reports of Comodo, for example - if they touch the
OOo files while open.

If uninstalling, do please ensure that your files are well backed up, and in directories not
part of the OOo structure, which they should never be anyway.

There are reported peculiarities attaching to opening an OOo file from its icon, rather than
the long way.  Such peculiarities include undefined language, I think; I can't remember what
the others were.

I'm off the air now - going to do Saturday things.
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>