From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: false "recover files" messages
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 06:44:30 GMT
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 22:02:06 -0600
Umberto Tosi <umberto3000@gmail.com> wrote:

> It worked. My OO.o now is rogue-recovery function free! I'm able to open
> Open Office flawlessly --- via splash page or from an individual file.
>
>   I followed Rory's suggestion and found the offending recovery.xcu file
> and deleted, though I had to go to the "more search options," because, like
> you predicted, a straight search didn't find it.
> Thanks to all for you help.
> Is this problem due to a bug in Open Office?
> Should it be reported as such? Thanks again!

In terms of Advanced or normal searching, as a long time computer user (probably with many
bad habits as a result) I would only ever search for all files, including hidden and system
files, so might not think to specify that an advanced search was necessary.  As far as I know,
the recovery mechanism has changed between OOo 3.1 and 3.3; in any event a bug, if it be such,
in such old releases is unlikely to be serviced. Why the file does not sometimes deleted when
the recovery is accepted or declined is undetermined; it may be due to some form of user error.

Normally such an error message is cured by deleteing or renaming the User Profile, which seems
to cure a large proportion of OOo peculiarities.  In the case of the advanced user of OOo,
renaming the profile may theoretically be best, as this allows the individual customisation
files to be brought forward individually to preserve customisation such as special templates
and dictionaries.  To be honest, the only customisation I worry about as a Writer user is
the dictionaries; I have the OED dictionary preserved in a download directory and can easily
reinstall it; other dictionaries are usually personal names, which vary from project to project,
and these dictionaries are easily rebuilt on need, so I'd simply zap the Profile.

May I recommend that you check the User Forum at http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum
if you have further problems, be they configuration (as this one) or usage.  To search the
Forum it is not necessary to register, although this must be done (as an anti spam measure)
if you wish to post a specific query.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>