From Dan Lewis <elderdanle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mozilla-like installation for Linux?
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 00:39:23 GMT
On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:59 -0700, Terry wrote:
> I believe you have missed the point.  I have no wish to compile Thunderbird.  My distro
supports the Mozilla applications.

> I was raising the question of whether the Linux version of AOO could / should be provided
in the same way that Mozilla provides Firefox and Thunderbird.

  <big snip>

      Several years ago, OOo did have a generic installation like
several Linux binary programs do. (The uncompressed installation folder
contains a file named "install" that had to be made executable.) The
observation by Sun at the time was that a large majority of the people
downloading the Linux version of OOo had rpm or dpkg for installing
software on their computers. That is when the change was made to
providing ready made binaries for these installers.

--Dan